Job Title: Business Manager
Organization/School: Thaddeus Stevens College
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Description: Job Title: Business Manager
Department: Division –Finance and Administration
Position Status: Full-Time
Directly Reports To: Vice President of Finance and Administration
Thaddeus Stevens College is seeking a new Business Manager. The Business Manager will report to the Vice President of Finance and Administration. The Business Manager is an integral member of Thaddeus Stevens College. The Business Manager is committed to supporting the mission of the college by adding value through our work, finding solutions to operational challenges, and helping to prepare the College for tomorrow.
The successful candidate will manage and coordinate the business operations of a major unit, satellite location, or branch with responsibility for multiple fiscal sub-units and functions. Oversees such activities as budget preparation and control, human resources administration, accounts payable, accounts receivable, contract and grant accounting, business resources, cashiering, physical plant operations, and/or auxiliary enterprises.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Manages the daily financial activities of the college, which include accounting, budget preparation and control, purchasing, and business planning and management; ensures compliance with college policies and procedures, state, and federal regulations.
• Prepares financial statements and reports to control and account for college funds.
• Oversees the supervision of personnel, which includes work allocation, training, promotion, enforcement of internal procedures and controls, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
• Coordinates, designs, and implements internal financial reporting systems, financial controls, and management information systems in coordination with the automated financial reporting systems of the college.
• Prepares cost accounting reports for special projects.
• Prepares monthly trial balance and specialized accounting reports.
• Supervises the reconciliation of numerous bank accounts.
• Responsible for the disbursement of funds according to the College’s policies and procedures.
• Responsible for implementing routines for handling the outflow of cash.
• Supervises the disbursement of college funds as payments to vendors and contractors.
• Develops and implements systems and processes to establish and maintain records for the operating unit.
• Prepares, in conjunction with department offices, budget requests, operating budgets, legislative budget requests, and formal budget revisions as required.
• Coordinates the preparation of reports of disbursements, special analyses, and information reports for management; presents recommendations for changes and/or improvements, monetary control, and adherence to budgets.
• Evaluates and/or negotiates contracts for the purchase of services in coordination with the college purchasing department.
• Manages cash, cash-related receipts, accounts receivable and credit and collection functions, ensuring timely processing of billings, payments, and collection of program revenue.
• Maintains current information as to trends and developments in business; presents recommendations for marketing of programs.
• As appropriate to the needs of the unit, may oversee plant operations and/or auxiliary enterprises such as shipping and receiving, order fulfillment, postal services, and printing services.
• Develops or assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the organization to ensure efficient and safe operation of the unit.
• May coordinate financial aspects of research proposals, contracts, and sub-contracts, including the development of budget, proposal preparation, and adherence to funding requirements; serves as a liaison with college administrators, state, federal, and private funding sources.
• Participates in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
• Represents the organization at various community and/or business meetings, committees, and task forces; promotes existing and new programs and/or policies.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
• Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
• Knowledge of cash management principles and/or procedures.
• Knowledge of contracting process and associated local, state, federal, and other regulations.
• Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
• Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
• Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
• Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
• Knowledge of marketing strategies, processes, and available resources.
• Knowledge of college accounting procedures involving procurement, travel, and/or employment.
• Ability to effectively communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by the customer.
• Knowledge of software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections.
• Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
• Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
• Knowledge of management principles and practices.
• Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Employee development and performance management skills.
• Knowledge of college and/or public auditing policies, standards, and procedures.
• Ability to develop financial plans and manage resources.
• Knowledge of accounts payable procedures and practices.
• Knowledge of current business issues and trends.
• Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
Conditions of Employment
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is a residential, two year technical college that serves economically disadvantaged as well as tuition-paying students. The College prepares students for skilled employment in a diverse, ever-changing workforce and for full, effective participation as citizens of the community, the Commonwealth, and the nation. Committed for over a century to lifelong learning, inclusiveness, and community outreach, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology dedicates itself to the development of Pennsylvania’s technical workforce. For information about the College, visit www.stevenscollege.edu.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as a computer, phone, and copier.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing and movement is required. This would require the ability to lift files and file boxes, open filing cabinets, walking, and bending or standing as necessary.
Application Process: Application materials must include a cover letter, a current resume, and academic transcripts. Send applications to Heather Burky, Attention: Business Manager, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, 750 East King Street, Lancaster, PA 17602 or email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed upon submission and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology (the “College”) does not discriminate in its educational programs or employment practices based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age (as applicable), religion, ancestry, veteran status, or any other legally protected classification.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Start Date: 10/20/23
Application URL: https://stevenscollege.edu/
How to Apply: Application Process: Application materials must include a cover letter, a current resume, and academic transcripts. Send applications to Heather Burky, Attention: Business Manager, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, 750 East King Street, Lancaster, PA 17602 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed upon submission and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Thaddeus Stevens College
750 E King Street
Lancaster, PA 17602