Job Title: Assistant Director of Communications and Marketing
Organization/School: Thaddeus Stevens College
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Description: Job Title: Assistant Director of Communications and Marketing
Department: Division – President’s Office
Position Status: Full-Time
Directly Reports To: President
This position reports to the college’s Director of Communications and Marketing and supports coordinating an integrated, multi-channel approach to marketing, communications, and public relations on behalf of the college.
This role performs strategic communications duties to increase awareness and visibility of the college.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Content Development and Management
• Support the development of and generate content for use across communication channels in an external and internal capacity.
• Support developing and generating speeches, remarks, talking points, and scripts for various college leaders for use at internal and external events and activities.
• Collaborate with offices and academic programs across the college to draft, revise, and/or review information that will be distributed to internal and external audiences (i.e., emails, newsletters, social media posts, website content, etc.).
• Develop and manage the college’s print and digital signage (i.e., digital displays across locations, maps, event signage, etc.).
• Manage content, frequency, and distribution of e-newsletters distributed by programs and offices to internal and external audiences.
• Document and archive the University's communications activities, track and evaluate the effectiveness of efforts using web analytics and other relevant measurement tools, and provide suggestions on future strategies based on analytics.
• Regularly assess communications and marketing strategies and provide relevant reports to the director and other college personnel.
• Engage with the college community by visiting classrooms/labs, meetings, events, special initiatives, and activities to capture information shared via photo and video and conducting interviews where appropriate to share associated information via various communications channels.
• Support planning and communications surrounding college events and activities, including but not limited to commencement, enrollment events, athletic events, and student activities.
• Schedule and manage photographers and videographers for college events and activities.
• Coordinate and manage the appearance schedule of the college’s mascot, staff all appearances, and administer costume maintenance.
• Coordinate the strategic purchase of promotional items to be distributed internally and externally as part of events, activities, meetings, etc.
• Serve as backup to represent the college at community meetings and events.
• Coordinate the development of metrics and reporting associated with communications and marketing team efforts.
• Provide oversight for and lead the content management of the college’s public-facing website, including necessary upgrades to the CMS.
• Assist in designing and maintaining the college’s public-facing website architecture, navigational structure, user interface, visual design, and graphics, in coordination with director.
• Provide ongoing navigational improvements, usability testing, search engine optimization, and analysis of user analytics.
• Develop optimization strategies that increase the college’s search engine results rankings.
• Research SEO keywords to use throughout the college’s website and marketing materials.
• Enhance web content (words and images) for accessibility to ensure compliance with accessibility standards.
• Manage and grow the college’s social media presence, incorporating social strategies to increase engagement.
• Coordinate/take photos/videos for use on social media.
• Manage consistency of style and brand on social media.
• Direct relevant advertising strategies and budgets.
• Draft and update plans for specific social media campaigns of limited duration.
• Enhance post and page content (words and images) for accessibility to ensure compliance with accessibility standards.
• Serve as photographer/videographer for college events, programs, activities, initiatives, important news to visually document and distribute on various communication platforms.
• Coordinate college video projects – ensure video conceptualization, filming, editing, and other production efforts are completed successfully and align with college brand identity.
• Lead event and activity livestream efforts for the college.
• Develop and produce editorial content and graphic design elements for use in digital and print communications, including but not limited to social media, the website, display screens across the college’s locations, and e-newsletters.
• Maintain and support the updating of a library of standard crisis, issues and incident-related statements and procedures for cascading information as appropriate for the college.
• Serve as the back-up University spokesperson during an emergency or crisis.
Perform other duties as assigned to advance projects, initiatives, and priorities of the college.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree required (marketing, business, communications, education preferred);
• Master's degree preferred (MBA, Marketing, Communications, Education);
• At least 3 years of relevant experience;
• Proven results in managing social media platforms, websites and analytics, database/spreadsheets, Publisher, Adobe Creative Cloud;
• Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while managing deadlines.
• Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action. Assemble diverse data and prepare reports.
• Excellent written and verbal communications, presentation, and interpersonal skills; emphasis on working with a diverse population.
• Deal with constant interruptions.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Independently make decisions and solve problems.
• Strong interpersonal skills and experience collaborating with internal and vendor partners.
• Interpret and apply campus rules and policies. Interpret local, state, and federal regulations.
• Maintain composure during stressful and urgent situations.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Commitment to advancing equity and access to higher education;
• Operate a computer and business-related software.
• Operate a variety of standard office equipment.
• Plan and organize work.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Work independently and confidentially, with discretion.
• Excellent time management, organization and scheduling skills.
• Ability to foster relationships among internal departments and among key constituents.
• Skill in budget preparation and management.
• Commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
Conditions of Employment
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is a residential, two year technical college that serves economically disadvantaged as well as tuition-paying students. The College prepares students for skilled employment in a diverse, ever-changing workforce and for full, effective participation as citizens of the community, the Commonwealth, and the nation. Committed for over a century to lifelong learning, inclusiveness, and community outreach, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology dedicates itself to the development of Pennsylvania's technical workforce. For information about the College, visit www.stevenscollege.edu.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as a computer, phone, and copier. Must be willing and able to perform some night/week-end work for events, including but not limited to athletic events, open house, registration, homecoming, banquets, graduation ceremonies. Work can include tight timelines and some offsite travel.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is largely a sedentary role; however, this would require the ability to lift occasionally, walking, and bending or standing as necessary. Work involves operating a computer, sitting for extended hours at a desk and communicating over telephone or by email.
Application Process: Application materials must include a cover letter, a current resume, and academic transcripts. Send applications to Heather Burky, Attention: Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, 750 East King Street, Lancaster, PA 17602 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed upon submission and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology (the “College”) does not discriminate in its educational programs or employment practices based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age (as applicable), religion, ancestry, veteran status, or any other legally protected classification.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Start Date: 05/01/2023
Application Deadline: 04/30/2023
How to Apply: Application Process: Application materials must include a cover letter, a current resume, and academic transcripts. Send applications to Heather Burky, Attention: Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, 750 East King Street, Lancaster, PA 17602 or email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed upon submission and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.
Thaddeus Stevens College
750 E King Street
Lancaster, PA 17602